Come try speedskating!
We welcome new members of all skill levels from beginner to advanced.
- So you have some basic skating skills
- Check out our practice times
- Call or email us to let us know you’re coming down
- Try it out and see if you like it – first time is on us!
Flushing Meadows Speed Skating Club offers short track coaching at all levels, beginners through national-class racers. Even if you have limited skating experience, but are interested in trying the fastest aspect of the sport, come down and give it a try. We have a limited number of pairs of speed skates to lend out to first-timers. If you will need skates, please show up early. There is paperwork to fill out and it takes time to make sure we get a pair of skates that fit reasonably well. We want to skate too, so if there are too many who show up late, we will ask that you return on the next practice day.
The following a required for entry onto the ice. Please bring them with you:
- Bicycle helmet.
- Light jacket.
- Neck Guard.
- Spandex, stretchy pants, or tight sweat pants. No jeans or baggy pants please.
- A variety of socks to get the best fit with our loaner skates.
- Knee pads, Volleyball slip overs, or equivalent. The soft type work best. (If you do not own these, not to worry, one of our members may be able to loan you a pair).
- Light gloves.