The Flushing Meadows Speed Skating Club was incorporated in 1959. Speed skating has existed in Flushing Meadows Park since the early 1940s.
The 1939 World’s Fair called for the building of a skating rink; in 1941, the NYC Parks Department overtook its management. It became the city’s first indoor skating rink, and a New York City speed skating team began training at the facility. Between 1946 and 1952 the building was converted to house the United Nations General Assembly. After, skating resumed with a club specifically representing Flushing Meadows Park. The NYC Parks Department sponsored a Saturday morning novice program from which competitive skaters were selected for a racing team. Skaters had the opportunity to compete with other teams from NYC, throughout the Middle Atlantic Skating Association, and at national competitions.
Since then the club has continued strong. In 2008 a new ice rink, the World Ice Arena, was built in the park, and the Queens Museum took over the space of the old rink. The FMSSC is proud of its history of always welcoming and supporting club members from the many diverse communities of NYC. The club has been active in promoting speed skating from the recreational through internationally-competitive level: FMSSC is proud to have had National and North American Champions, National Team Members and Masters World Champions with team members competing across Short Track, Long Track and marathon races.